Illinois has more than 90 ash pits through the state. Many threaten our drinking water. Come to one of these events and learn what you can do to ensure Illinois enacts safe rules for the handling and disposal of toxic coal ash
April 2015 EJC Delegation to Southern Illinois Coalfields
On April 10, 11 and 12, EJC lead a delegation to southern Illinois, in partnership with Shawnee Hills and Hollers and the Shawnee Vinyard Indian Settlement.The purpose of this trip was to:
- Experience the devastation of coal mining on communities in southern Illinois and the magnificent landscape that is their home;
- Build relationships with residents and communities impacted by mining; and
- Mobilize delegates to work to help residents protect their homelands through a variety of strategies, including (but not limited to):
- Education of others in the northern part of the state;
- Legislation and policy change that helps transition Illinois from coal to clean energy sources; and
- Support for those who continue to struggle to stop new mines or expansion of existing mines.
Watch for updates regarding actions taken as a result of this delegation.