2nd Hearing – Comments on Coal Ash Rules
One of the victories emerging from the campaign to protect the Middle Fork was the passage of Senate Bill 9 – The Coal Ash Pollution Prevention Act of 2019. But this was just the first step in bringing about regulations that will protect Illinois residents from the effects of toxic coal ash pollution. Over 80 coal ash storage sites throughout Illinois are threatening the health and safety of our residents. Now the Illinois EPA and the Illinois Pollution Control Board must develop the detailed rules that will govern coal ash management and disposal in the coming years.
The IPCB is ready to hold a second round of virtual public hearings on September 30th and October 1st. A huge thank you to those who already submitted written comments or made oral comments in August. But if you didn’t … This is another opportunity for YOU to make your voice heard. And we intend to make it easy.
You can participate in three ways:
- Watch and Listen – We want as many people as possible to connect remotely to show the IPCB how much the public supports strong coal ash rules. You may use either your phone or WebEx video conferencing.
- Read a short statement into the record – Tell the IPCB about the risks of coal ash pollution near you and why you want strong rules to make sure that your community and the environment are safe. These statements should be no longer than 2 to 3 minutes and can be pre-written. You will not have to answer any questions.
- Send the IPCB your written comments via email – These may be longer and will carry equal weight to spoken comments. Comments should be sent by email to the Clerk of the Board Don Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org. They must be received no later than October 30th.
Here is the Schedule for the Public:
- Wednesday, September 30th from Noon to 1:30pm.
- Thursday, October 1st from 5:30 to 7:00pm.
- Sign up here to say that you are attending at least a portion of the hearings and/or making a comment. Indicate that you are participating as a supporter of EJC.
- Click here to view a guidance document that will give you talking points and more detailed instructions on how to participate in the hearing, including how to call in or connect remotely to the State’s WebEx video conferencing service.
- Register here to attend a virtual comment writing party this coming Sunday, September 20 at 2pm. You can ask questions, share your thoughts, and hear what others are thinking. Can’t make that day or time? Here are two other opportunities.:
- Call in on September 30th or October 1st and let the IPCB know how you feel.
Why Participate? Why Testify?
We have come very far in the campaign to protect Illinois residents from toxic coal ash. As we head into the final rulemaking process, we need to hear your voice one more time.
Click here to view a guidance document that will give you talking points and more detailed instructions on how to participate in the hearing, including how to call in or connect remotely to the State’s WebEx video conferencing service. If you have any questions, call Lan Richart at 773.556.3417.