- This event has passed.
Natural Climate Solutions Working Group (July 28)
July 28 @ 10:00 am - 11:00 am
The Natural Climate Solutions (NCS) Working Group of the Downstate Caucus of the Illinois Clean Jobs Coalition meets every other Wednesday from 10am to 11am to further initiatives in Illinois that relate to expanding carbon sinks via:
- Protecting, restoring, and expanding open space and natural area systems.
- Building healthy soil via regenerative agriculture.
Members recognize that land use changes are essential to ensure that carbon is captured and sequestered by open space / natural areas and farm and pasturelands to avert the most disastrous effects of climate change. The Downstate Caucus NCS Working Group is part of the 30 x 30 initiative started by the Illinois Environmental Council. The group has adopted the eight goals of the Biden Administration’s America the Beautiful Act:
- Create More Parks and Safe Outdoor Opportunities in Nature-Deprived Communities
- Support Tribally Led Conservation and Restoration Priorities.
- Expand Collaborative Conservation of Fish and Wildlife Habitats and Corridors
- Increase access for outdoor recreation
- Incentivize and Reward the Voluntary Conservation Efforts of Fishers, Ranchers, Farmers, and Forest Owners
- Create Jobs by Investing in Restoration and Resilience.
Goals that relate to regenerative agriculture (if developed as a carbon sink) are in process)
AGENDA for July 28 meeting (TBD).
If you are interested in becoming involved, contact Pam.